SmallIslandGirl

just a chick from Trinidad writing about her life on a small island but with big dreams all the same.

Monday, October 10, 2005

I might be wrong here................

Ok I am pissed today a bajan student stood up in class today and ranted about the drivers in Trinidad and I saw stars but of course I said nothing and it had nothing to do with the topic of discussion I hate it when foreigners critisize my country its just wrong I will never go to someone's country and criticize anything about the country especially while I am enjoying the benefits the country has to offer I wanted to tell him well go back to your country and do your degree there then but that would have been unkind.

Have you even been to a party or a movie and had a ball and only to read an article or hear someone else's opinion and you wonder did they go to the same movie or party well thats how it is with my country I read other blogs where people go on and on about the crime here but thats just one aspect about my country and if you harp on the negative you will never see the positive.

I love my country and yes the crime is getting out of hand maybe when the Scotland Yard and FBI get here things hopefully would get better but thats not all there is to my country.

Come to my country on wednesday and you will see everyone dressed in red because the national football team the soca warriors will be playing a game against Mexico and we support our own even if like me you don't really like football. Does the president of your country play mas? Well ours do he flew to Panama this weekend to support the footbal team. Have you ever been to an event gone without food our drink and still get fed by strangers thats how we do it here my husband and I got invited to the wedding of some friends because we parked next to each other for carnival in '96 and shared or drinks with them American's and now its as if we are family.
I love my country love it its beautiful the people are very tolerant of loud sometimes obnoxious foreiners its not all bad.

And I can harp on the negative in other peoples country have you ever been lost in the subway in NY well you might ask 10 people for direction before you get help but does that make NY a bad place hell no I love New York they know the meaning of a sale so if you are looking you will find the negative.

I have been to Barbadoes 4 times once we got lost and a guy actually jumped in the car and took us around a stranger afterwards he took us by some friends and shared a bottle of Canadian Club whiskey with us I love how the busses and taxi system is so simple to understand and dependable.
I have been to almost all of the caribbean islands Grenada is so clean Antigua we went to Shirley Heights and had a ball making friens I got married in St Lucia and a guy a stranger took us out on his boat no charge and showed us the coast I have been to Miami Cap Cod D.C and NY I like how the men call you ma'am we went to a bar in Boston only black people there and felt comfortable I just told my friend that I like plenty olives and the waiter when he brought my martini put a bowl full with olives next to my drink and you think we have never had bad experiences in other countries yes we do but you just use common sense when you travel.

Anyway I am done just had to get this off my chest.

23 Comments:

Blogger Jdid said...

have you ever considered maybe he/she's just homesick for barbados and that rant was just a way of getting some stuff off their chest.

nowhere is perfect
two things here. one vacationing and living in a place are completely different and two what i find is that when you are new to living in a place its easier to critize because the differences seem so drastic until you get aclimitized.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Scratchie said...

Maybe it's just culture shock. He may be accustomed to doing things one way at home and now it's do or die. We drive terribly here but I'm used to it and it comes as nothing but I figure even people from a country where the driving is horrible would have a hard time. Take time with the yout.

3:52 PM  
Blogger smallislandgirl said...

I hear you I really do but still I felt like he was insulting my country which I felt it was uncalled for.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Shotta M said...

I can relate. It is hard to listen to someone say something about your country when you have been raised, natured there and think it's the most beautiful place in the world.

It comes with the teritory though - as long as they know their countries are equally open to criticism.

There is an extreme though where all someone can do is say negative things without anything positive.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Dr. D. said...

Agree with JDid.

At the same time, I wouldn't feel insulted if people were to say Jamaicans drive badly...cause as Scratchie says...we do....don't take it as an insult to your country.

In the same breath, I am one who will be the first to admit that Ja. nuh perfect in many areas. However, there's plenty about this place that makes me proud. I really get pissed at Jamaicans in particular who can only bad mout the place that gave them their identity and in many cases, educated them well prior to their migrating.

Hope you feel lot more calm having got this off your chest.

10:25 PM  
Blogger joealexander05023738 said...

Click Here Now Mortgage rates as low as 3.95%
$150,000 mortgage for $494/mo. Other loan amounts available. Up to 4 lenders in 24 hours.
Save money Click Here Now

4:54 AM  
Blogger Stunner said...

If someone said Jamaican drive bad, I would agree, some crazy people deh pon di road yah, but bad drivers deh every weh.

It's upsetting when people seh bad things about your country and they don't even live there...like CNN who always make things in a small area of Kingston sound like di whole Island in turmoil and dem always find di worst place fi stand up when dem a do dem report.

Maybe you need to let them see good things about your country.

6:24 AM  
Blogger Trouble said...

Well, at least you have a very positive attitude when visiting other people's homes... I have always been a 'when in Rome' kinda person, it's the differences that make it interesting... Plus that looks like a very good mortgage deal above...

9:51 AM  
Blogger Abeni said...

Don't take it personal.You will find bad drivers everywhere and somebody will comment.Next time just point out no where perfect

9:32 PM  
Blogger Mad Bull said...

Forgive him... He knew not what he was saying...

11:36 PM  
Blogger princessdominique said...

Yeah I think he was a little out there making a generalized statement like that.

11:20 AM  
Blogger smallislandgirl said...

Yeah you guys I feel bad for ranting now because the guy spoke to me and he was so sweet I am thinking now that he probably didn't mean to ofend me and I shouldn't be so hasty.
Thanks for the nice comments though.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Yamfoot said...

Well I would only feel insulted if it's not true.

And that bajan student was right. Trinidad would be the last place I would venture to drive in. I did it once in 1993 I think, that was ok. But when I went back in 2003 and saw how crazy they drive, especially on the highway, I said no way, no how. Reminded me of the drivers in Paris.

But having said that, Trinidad would be the first island I would go to to experience nice indiginous food, and a great fete.

Each country has its good points and bad. I have no qualms about dogging on Jamaica. Frankly, I've had enough of my island for now. Time for me to roam.

BTW, when that Bajan student rants about something, ask him what DOES he like about Trini and then you can share what you loved about Barbados to him.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Mortgage Center said...

I just came across your blog and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here.
I also have a web site & blog about mortgage calc so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work!

3:29 PM  
Anonymous leningen said...

Hi Blogger! Ik ben op zoek naar de beste leningen Zou Afab echt zo goed zijn als iedereen beweert? Of kan ik beter zoiets als Geldshop proberen?

Groetjes Albert

10:41 PM  
Anonymous homes for sale rydal said...

Nice blog. An interesting read. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Charlie Cowan
homes for sale rydal
http://www.etowahrealty.com

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Scott Arthur Edwards said...

Dear friends, here is a really cool site that gives you a lot of FREE information that you can really use. Get FREE Daily and Weekly Foreign Exchange Outlook, Rates, Trends and Currency Shifts. Click here: FOREX

8:33 AM  
Blogger Joe Berenguer said...

I was searching blogs,and I found your site.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
loans center
It pretty much covers loans center related issues.
Have a good day!

8:32 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

christian louboutin shoes, louis vuitton outlet, true religion, coach outlet, gucci handbags, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet, prada handbags, nike outlet, polo ralph lauren, ray ban outlet, nike free, michael kors outlet store, louis vuitton handbags, louis vuitton, cheap oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin, chanel handbags, tiffany and co jewelry, michael kors outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, oakley vault, prada outlet, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet online, nike air max, coach outlet store online, oakley sunglasses, burberry outlet online, nike air max, michael kors handbags, longchamp outlet online, kate spade outlet online, burberry outlet online, longchamp handbags, kate spade outlet, jordan shoes, red bottom shoes, longchamp outlet, tory burch outlet online, coach outlet, louis vuitton outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, coach purses, tiffany jewelry

11:15 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, vans pas cher, lululemon, lacoste pas cher, nike air max, air max, abercrombie and fitch, timberland, nike free pas cher, sac michael kors, louis vuitton uk, north face, new balance pas cher, barbour, north face pas cher, tn pas cher, nike roshe run, burberry pas cher, hollister, ray ban pas cher, nike air force, true religion outlet, ralph lauren, mulberry, nike air max, oakley pas cher, nike free, longchamp, chaussure louboutin, nike roshe, michael kors canada, air max pas cher, true religion jeans, sac louis vuitton, longchamp pas cher, hollister, michael kors uk, converse pas cher, air jordan, louis vuitton, scarpe hogan, ray ban uk, nike blazer pas cher, guess pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, hermes pas cher

11:20 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

mont blanc pens, canada goose, uggs outlet, p90x workout, reebok shoes, chi flat iron, babyliss, soccer jerseys, valentino shoes, instyler ionic styler, insanity workout, bottega veneta, north face jackets, ugg soldes, canada goose outlet, beats headphones, hollister, uggs outlet, soccer shoes, new balance outlet, asics shoes, abercrombie and fitch, mcm handbags, wedding dresses, ugg boots, canada goose outlet, lululemon outlet, ugg outlet, celine handbags, birkin bag, replica watches, nike roshe, nfl jerseys, north face jackets, vans outlet, nike trainers, ugg, ghd, ferragamo shoes, canada goose outlet, mac cosmetics, ugg boots, longchamp, giuseppe zanotti, herve leger, nike huarache, uggs on sale, jimmy choo shoes, marc jacobs outlet

11:23 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

links of london uk, swarovski jewelry, moncler, pandora uk, canada goose, supra shoes, ray ban, timberland shoes, hollister, juicy couture outlet, moncler outlet, thomas sabo uk, coach outlet, vans, gucci, hollister canada, parajumpers outlet, oakley, canada goose, moncler, swarovski uk, montre femme, louis vuitton canada, moncler, wedding dress, uggs canada, converse shoes, air max, lancel, toms outlet, juicy couture outlet, hollister clothing, moncler, baseball bats, pandora charms, louboutin, ralph lauren, replica watches, converse, ugg, moncler outlet, canada goose, karen millen, iphone 6 case, moncler, nike air max, pandora jewelry, canada goose pas cher

11:28 PM  
Blogger mmjiaxin said...

chanel outlet store
swarovski outlet
louis vuitton outlet
new balance shoes
michael kors outlet online
michael kors handbags
tiffany jewellery
uggs outlet
ghd uk
rolex watches outlet
true religion outlet
louis vuitton outlet store
hollister shirts
ugg outlet
air jordan shoes for sale
tiffany and co
true religion uk outlet
kate spade uk outlet
winter coats
polo ralph lauren
louis vuitton handbags outlet
michael kors handbags
michael kors outlet online
ray ban outlet
jordan shoes 2015
wellensteyn outlet
mm1224

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home